Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

misko22

TT is miscalculating my self-employed health ins. deduction. I bought insurance via exchange, paid nothing, and should be repaying $2800. I'm seeing a deduction of $5624?

My assumption is that my deduction would be limited to what I end up paying for health insurance.  (The $2800 ACA repayment).  Somehow TT is coming up with this larger number, which should instantly raise a red flag. Please help!  This is driving me nuts.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

TT is miscalculating my self-employed health ins. deduction. I bought insurance via exchange, paid nothing, and should be repaying $2800. I'm seeing a deduction of $5624?

Yes, you are correct that your Self-Employment Health Insurance Deduction should be limited to the repayment amount.

Did you enter your 1095-A info only and indicate that it was self-employment insurance in that section?  If so, you should not enter it anywhere else in TurboTax.

If you're using TurboTax Online, you could delete your 1095-A, close TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies, re-open TurboTax and re-enter your 1095-A.

Since we can't see your return in this forum, let us know if this doesn't resolve your issue.

Here's more info on How to Enter 1095-A

@misko22 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
misko22

Thank you for replying.  I tried everything you suggested, but got the same erroneous result.  I deleted the 1095-A form, signed out of TurboTax, cleared the cache and cookies, and then re-entered the info for 1095-A, indicating that it was for self-employment. I got the same wrong result.  Kindly help!

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify where you entered your 1095-A?  

misko22

Thank you.  I filled out every field that TT asked for. 

Marketplace identifier:  California 

Marketplace policy number

The three columns:  

a)  Monthly premium amount:  $922.77 (for every month)

b) 2nd lowest silver amount: $922.77 (for every month)

c)  monthly advance payment $920. 77 (for every month)

Then on the next screen I checked the box for "I'm self employed and bought a marketplace plan"

Then on the next screen I assigned the plan to my business.  

And selected Jan through December. 

I've now re-entered everything about 4 times.  I'm at wits end.  I really hope that you can help!

Or if this is a TurboTax glitch, I hope they will quickly give me a refund, so that I can switch to another company. 

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2022" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

In TurboTax Online, go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 

In TurboTax CD/Download versions, go to the black panel on the top of your screen and select Online. 

1. Scroll down to and select Send tax file to Agent. 
  2. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click send through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 

Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.   

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@misko22 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies