Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

D2022
Returning Member

Taxes and Expenses

Hello. Very new to this. Started buying and reselling items on eBay with the intent to profit. For example if I bought $1,000 worth of items and have sold $800, will I not pay taxes on it this year since I haven’t made over $1,000 so technically still in the red?  Or is it per item I made a profit on? And is the $1,000 worth of different items something I can deduct and will only pay taxes during a year where I actually sold more than I bought?  Also, can I deduct the shipping costs and mileage to mail them? Trying to figure out a way to track all of this but been difficult. Thank you for your time. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GabriellaEA
Employee Tax Expert

Taxes and Expenses

Hi @D2022! Congratulations on your new business venture! Since you are actively engaged in the business of buying and reselling items with an intent to turn a profit, you'll want to report on your tax return all the gross income you receive from selling items in the self-employment section of TurboTax. In addition to that, you can write off your inventory/cost of goods sold expenses, as well as any other ordinary and necessary business expenses (this includes shipping costs, potentially mileage, website and payment processor fees etc). If you've got a net loss for the year (taking into account all sales and all expenses), you won't pay any income or self-employment tax on the business this year, but you will pay both income and self-employment tax in any future years where you do have a net profit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies