Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nic1259
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: California LLC Dissolving - Do I need to fill out anything with IRS other than Final Tax Return (i.e. Form 996)?

I am dissolving my California LLC (usually fill out the 1065 federal form). The company was not that active so we have minimal expenses and income (under $2k). We are not selling anything in the company or selling the company itself? 

Aside from filling out the last tax return, and marking it as final, do we need to fill out any other IRS form? For example would something like Form 996 apply to us? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: California LLC Dissolving - Do I need to fill out anything with IRS other than Final Tax Return (i.e. Form 996)?

@nic1259 wrote:

Aside from filling out the last tax return, and marking it as final, do we need to fill out any other IRS form? For example would something like Form 996 apply to us? 

No, not for the IRS, and only corporations (under certain circumstances) are required to file Form 966 per Section 6043(a).

WKins2
Expert Alumni

If you have registered your business with CA you will need to dissolve your business with them (generally on the Secretary of State website will have the forms), also if you have payroll that was run and have a Department of Labor and Department of Revenue account, you will need to notify them as well. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies