AJL7

Starting an Online Tutoring Business

Do I need a physical address to start an online tutoring business?

RSUMan

Starting an Online Tutoring Business

No, the business itself is not required to operate from or have a physical address.  Many sole proprietors operate a business where their home address functions as the business address.  In the General Information section for Schedule C self employment of TurboTax, the question is asked is 123 Maple Street, Town, State (the home address on your tax return) the address of the business.  For example, an Uber driver would answer that question "yes".

AJL7

Starting an Online Tutoring Business

Thank you for this response. I will make a note about the schedule C when I file my 2022 taxes.

RSUMan

Starting an Online Tutoring Business

My number on tip for you:  Your profit from tutoring will be subject to Self Employment Tax (Social Security and Medicare tax that is normally withheld by employer at a W-2 job), therefore, make sure you capture your expenses and keep track of them going forward.  Essentially, every $100 of ordinary and necessary expense (for example, internet access or a book relating to your field of teaching) saves you $15 of SE Tax.