Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Side Hustle - Umpire

I am a baseball umpire. When I enter my 1099-K my amount owed in taxes goes up. When I enter my expenses (mileage, uniform, gear) the owed does not come down. Why is that? Should it come straight off the top of those earnings? Does it tie into my standard deduction ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Side Hustle - Umpire

Yes, those self-employment expenses should be subtracted from your Gross self-employment income to arrive at your Net self-employment income.  Your self-employment income  is then added to your other income (W2, 1099-R, et.,, depending on your situation).  Your standard deduction is eventually subtracted from your Adjusted Gross Income.

Keep in mind that you will also owe Self-employment taxes (SE Tax) on your umpire income.

Without looking at the totality of your income, deductions and credits, your "owed" amount can't be determined.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Side Hustle - Umpire

Tom,

Thanks, I am not looking for any exact amounts, I'm just wondering why the amount owed does not come down when I entered those expenses. Am I doing something wrong? 

It went up when I entered the 1099-K, almost seems to ignore those expenses. 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Side Hustle - Umpire

It could be that the expenses and the income from the K1 are not presently linked together.  Be sure to enter your expenses in the section for Business Income and Expenses rather than employment expenses.  

The Business Income and Expenses section is under Income for most versions of TurboTax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies