Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

saul775

Should / How Do I Enter LLC Information into TurboTax Online

Here's my scenario:

My brother and I both own an LLC (50% each).  However, he did not work or get paid by the LLC in the year 2023.  Therefore, when filling out the Form 1065 and Schedule K-1, his portion of the profit was 0%, and my portion was 100%.  Additionally, our LLC paid me as contractor; therefore, I completed a 1099-NEC for myself.

For illustrative purposes, let's assume the LLC did $50k in income.  I paid myself $25k as a contractor (1099-NEC), so the LLC made a $25k profit that I have already submitted to the government in the form of a 1065.  We're neglecting costs and other deductions at the moment.

I'm confused as to how to enter this information into TurboTax.  TurboTax is asking me if I own a business.  Yes, I own a LLC but only 50% of it.  Additionally, it's asking if I issued a 1099-NEC.  Well, I did not issue a 1099-NEC for my CONTRACT work; the LLC issued me a 1099-NEC.  I'm just a little confused as to how to proceed and could use some feedback.  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Should / How Do I Enter LLC Information into TurboTax Online

You have two moving parts. First, the k-1 from the LLC you partly own is entered. Second, you have a 1099-NEC for contract work. It does not matter that it comes from the partnership. This income has not had Medicare and Social Security tax paid. The only way to pay those taxes is to enter the NEC as a business on Sch C to flow through to create the SE tax needed. You will indicate that this is a business so the SE tax can be generated and paid. Officially, you have a partnership with your brother and your own business.

See Am I considered self-employed?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies