Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jammer2000
Returning Member

SEP Contribution Calculation Issue

I think there is something going on with the calculation of taxes due associated with a SEP contribution.  I was exploring various amounts to see the effect on my refund and no matter I enter my refund goes down.  Pretty sure the opposite should happen.

The larger my contribution, the more is taken off of my refund.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

This is a known issue. Programmers are working on it. 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

As @Bsch4477 stated, this is an issue that is being worked on.

TurboTax programmers are currently implementing some recent IRS changes for reporting SEP and SIMPLE plan contributions. While there isn't an estimated date when the changes will be done, you can test this by editing your W-2 every 5-7 days to check on the status. 

On January 8, 2024, the IRS released a notice (within that bulletin, search for Employee Plansdescribing many changes required to implement the Secure Act 2.0. If you try to enter Code S for Box 12 of your W-2, you may see this message: "We're updating how SEP and simple plan contributions are reported on the tax return based on new guidance from the IRS."

Section 601 of the Secure Act 2.0 refers specifically to Simple and SEP Roth IRAs. Code S in box 12 defines how to handle a SIMPLE plan. 

These last-minute IRS (and law) changes often cause implementation delays for TurboTax and other tax processors.  

Please be patient while TurboTax works to understand all the ramifications of this IRS Notice then code and test the changes. 

@jammer2000 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jammer2000
Returning Member

I have received 2 updates to TurboTax since I reported this issue and the issue persists.  Will there be a notification or something when this issue is resolved?  Should I use another Tax software?  I am getting extremely frustrated with the matter.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The estimated date of release is February 15, 2024. We recommend waiting until the day after, then updating TurboTax (if using Desktop), and run Review again. The hold on Schedule C should be resolved.

There is no notification sign-up for this update, but TurboTax does update each time you open the program. 

@jammer2000 

jammer2000
Returning Member

This issue is still not fixed.  Any update to when this might be fixed.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

It's possible the changes in your refund total are influenced by more than your SEP contribution. Was this reported on Form W-2? That's where the known issue arose, but that has been resolved.

You might compare your 1040 each time you change the SEP contribution and check where the changes are made. If you're using TurboTax Online, you can see your 1040 following these instructions: How do I preview my 1040? In TurboTax for Desktop, use Forms Mode.

jammer2000
Returning Member

I am using the desktop version.  Everything is entered for my taxes except my Traditional SEP contribution.

When I enter an amount in SEP contribution, my refund goes down.  I am pretty sure there isn't a scenario where this should occur.  I have tried entering in forms mode and step by step mode and get the same result.

Strange. This might be a silly question but are you sure it’s not an amount owed that’s going down?

“I would like to take a deeper look at this. However, I need a diagnostic file which is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed. You can send one to us by following the directions below:

TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to your online account.
2. Locate the Tax Tools on the left hand side of the screen. 
‌ 3. A dropdown will appear. Select  Tools. 
4. On the pop-up screen, select on“Share my file with my agent.” 
5. This will generate a message that a diagnostic file gets sanitized and transmitted to us.
6. Please provide the Token sanitized and transmitted to us.

TurboTax Desktop/Download 
Versions:

1. Open your return.
2. Click the Online tab in the black bar across the top of TurboTax and select “Send Tax File to Agent” 
3. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created.  
    Click on OK and the tax file will be sanitized and transmitted to us.
4. Please provide the token number that was generated in the response. 

TurboTax Desktop/Download 
Versions:

response.

transmitted to us.

jammer2000
Returning Member

Token Number 1186584

jammer2000
Returning Member

Yes, I am positive.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Thank you for providing your token number.

Upon reviewing your file, it appears that when entering a greater SEP contribution, your refund amount goes up.  This is what we would expect to see. 

The amount you contribute to your SEP IRA is reported on your tax return as an adjustment to income. This deduction reduces your total income, which in turn reduces your taxable income for the year, thus increasing your refund amount due.

First, make sure that all updates have been run in your Turbotax program.  

Open TurboTax and select Check for Updates from the Online menu near the top. If there are any updates, you'll be prompted to download them.

• Use a wired, high-speed connection when updating, both to save time and minimize data corruption.
  • If your connection drops in the middle of the update, try again; it should pick up where it left off.
  • If you're having trouble updating on your PC, try a manual update.

If you find you need to manually update your TurboTax for Windows Software, here are some instructions to get started.

TurboTax 2023 Individual

If you're having trouble updating your TurboTax 2023 for Windows Individual software using the "Check for Updates" method, here are instructions for how you can get the latest federal program update:

1. Close TurboTax and all other programs except this browser window.
  2. Select this link to download the 264 MB update.
  3. Save the update file to your Windows desktop.
  4. Double-click the update file w_perrelsuperpatch... on your desktop to install the manual update.

We don't offer manual updates for TurboTax state software. If you need to update your state, here are your options.

To properly enter your SEP contribution, make sure you've entered your self-employed income. This allows TurboTax to calculate the maximum amount you're allowed to contribute to your SEP IRA.

Once your self-employment income is entered:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account.
  2. Open your return.
  3. Select Search and enter SEP IRA contributions (use this exact phrase, including the on contributions).
  4. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  5. On the Self-Employed Retirement Plans screen, answer Yes to Did you make a 2023 self-employed retirement plan contribution?
  6. Depending on if you contributed, select Yes or No to the question Did you contribute to an Individual or Roth 401(k) plan?
    • If you get the message Self-Employed Retirement Plans are only for self-employed individuals (i.e., those filing Schedules, C, F, or K-1), this means that you haven't entered your self-employed income yet. Once you've entered your income, you can come back to these instructions.
  7. On the next screen, select Yes to Do you want to make a contribution to a Keogh, SEP or SIMPLE retirement plan for 2023?
  8. Answer any additional questions until you get to the Your Contributions screen, where you’ll be able to input your SEP IRA contributions.

If you are self-employed, you can contribute to a Simplified Employee Pension (SEP) IRA as much as the lesser of 25% of your net earnings or up to $66,000 for 2023, and your contributions may be tax-deductible as a business expense if you file and extension by April 15 and contribute before the October 16th extension ...Oct 16, 2023

Click here for information on entering SEP contributions into TurboTax.

Click here for end of year retirement tips.

jammer2000
Returning Member

This issue still persists.  When entering a traditional SEP contribution, refund goes down.  I did a fresh install of the software on another computer and opened my return only to get the same results.

jammer2000
Returning Member

Does TurboTax have actual support?  Instead if posting here and waiting days for a reply it would be nice to talk to somebody and get this resolved.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies