Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self-employment proof of income

Hello, I need to report side income received from private art lessons. All payments were by personal checks. There was no 1099-MISC and there were no expenses to deduct, hence I didn't see a need to upgrade to Turbotax Self Employed. In Turbotax Deluxe, how do I prove to the IRS that my reported income is correct? I don't see any option to upload a spreadsheet or bank deposit records. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Are they asking for proof or are you being proactive? You would never attach these items to your return. If you get a letter in the future questioning the source, at that time you would provide proof.  You would attach it to the letter and return it to them (return receipt requested).

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Are they asking for proof or are you being proactive? You would never attach these items to your return. If you get a letter in the future questioning the source, at that time you would provide proof.  You would attach it to the letter and return it to them (return receipt requested).

I'm being pro-active. It just seems odd to me that they would take my word for it without proof. Thank you for the information.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

It also has to do with the fact that the IRS wants returns to be run through a computerized system, not through human hands. 

The IRS is not interested in additional letters of explanation being attached to tax forms.

IF the IRS pulls your return, and puts it into human hands, then the IRS agent may ask for additional information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies