Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Securities lending program from Schwab

My Turbotax 2023 is also showing the 1099MISC entry from Shwab as a personal business.  I am not getting the inquiry "was there intent to create income" hence I'm caught in a loop where the interest income is showing as

business income and can't get out of it.  How do I make the changes required?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The fact that the income is reported on a Form 1099-MISC indicates it is not for self employment reasons.  If you were involved in a self employment transaction then they would be required to report it that way using Form 1099-NEC.  For this reason, you should not be concerned about entering your 1099-MISC as 'Other income' without paying self employment taxes on this income.  

You can delete the Form 1099-MISC and then enter the income following the steps below.

1. On the menu bar on the left that shows. 

1. Select Tax Tools 
  2. On the drop-down select Tools 
  3. On the Pop-Up menu select Delete a Form 
  4. This will give you all of the forms in your return 
  5. Scroll down to the form you want to delete 
  6. Select the Form 
  7. Click on Delete

Always use extreme caution when deleting information from your tax return.  There could be unintended consequences. 

Other Miscellaneous Income:

Go to the Wages and Income  section of TurboTax

1. Scroll to  Less Common Income > Select  Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  2. Select Other reportable Income > Enter a description (----) and the amount

@osanbat9 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Delete the entry you made and re-enter the 1099-misc using the linked instructions.    To ensure the income shows up as personal income and not self-employment, make sure you answer the follow-up questions as follows:

• Income does NOT involve work like your main job
  • Only received the income in 2023
  • Income did NOT involve an intent to make money

Answering those questions any other way will classify the income as business/self-employment. You will get those questions if you choose None of the Above as a reason you received the money, after entering a description.  

Thank you for the response, however, I did receive the securities lending money in 2022 also, but I was able to correct things easily last year.  Unfortunately, I don't recall what I did last year to make life simpler.  By answering it is ongoing income as long as I participate in the Schwab securities lending program, does that make me a small busines?  Can I just say, no, this is the first year?  I'm not looking to deceive the IRS, they don't take kindly to that.... but I think the Turbotax software needs take into account these new Broker programs.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The fact that the income is reported on a Form 1099-MISC indicates it is not for self employment reasons.  If you were involved in a self employment transaction then they would be required to report it that way using Form 1099-NEC.  For this reason, you should not be concerned about entering your 1099-MISC as 'Other income' without paying self employment taxes on this income.  

You can delete the Form 1099-MISC and then enter the income following the steps below.

1. On the menu bar on the left that shows. 

1. Select Tax Tools 
  2. On the drop-down select Tools 
  3. On the Pop-Up menu select Delete a Form 
  4. This will give you all of the forms in your return 
  5. Scroll down to the form you want to delete 
  6. Select the Form 
  7. Click on Delete

Always use extreme caution when deleting information from your tax return.  There could be unintended consequences. 

Other Miscellaneous Income:

Go to the Wages and Income  section of TurboTax

1. Scroll to  Less Common Income > Select  Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  2. Select Other reportable Income > Enter a description (----) and the amount

@osanbat9 

Yes, thank you, I did exactly that.  Putting the total down in the lesser known amount MISC income after deleting the form provided by broker made everything fine and saved money since it was taxed as regular income.  Now, I'll just have to remember that for next year as long as I participate in the Securities Lending program.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies