Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SCORP

Should I become an SCORP for the 2023 tax year vs filing as  self employed. If I have an EIN from having a household employee in the past can I use this for creating an scorp? How do I calculate, file and pay quarterly self employment taxes? This is my first year earning a substantial amount of self employment income, while not being employed by a company and I am lost!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
zclar
Employee Tax Expert

SCORP

Hi dharper23,

Thank you for your question. I can certainly understand how it confusing self-employment taxes can be, especially for the first year. Here are some pointers to help clear some of your questions:

First,  there are pros and cons to structuring your business as Sole Proprietor, LLC, or S-corporation. Without having detailed knowledge of your business, we are not able to give you the best determination here. To determine the legal structure of your business, it is best to seek advise from your local tax accountant or attorney as each state may have its own nuances with legal structure.

For the EIN, according to IRS, generally, businesses need a new EIN when their ownership or structure has changed. Here is helpful link to determine if you would need to obtain a new EIN: Do You Need a New EIN? 

For tax year 2023, the following payment dates apply for avoiding penalties:

1st Quarterly Estimated Tax Payment April 18, 2023
2nd Quarterly Estimated Tax Payment June 15, 2023
3rd Quarterly Estimated Tax Payment September 15, 2023
4th Quarterly Estimated Tax Payment January 15, 2024

We provide a helpful Tax Calculator to assist you with estimating your tax refund or balance due by using this link: Self-Employment Tax Calculators 

Once you've calculated your quarterly payments,

• You can submit them online through the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System.
  • You can also pay using paper forms supplied by the IRS.
  • When you file your annual tax return, you'll pay the balance of taxes that weren't covered by your quarterly payments.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies