turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule C Tax Category for LinkedIn Job Seeker Account NOT as a Job Seeker - See Below

What Category do I place LinkedIn Job Seeker account NOT for employment, for me as a Coach, when I help clients with job postings/strategy.

Sometimes I subscribe to the Business LinkedIn Subscription to access ProFinder, where I submit quotes for proposals.  I put that under Marketing/Advertising.

Sometimes I join the Job Seeker Subscription, because I review job postings, review current job trends, number of applicants per certain position, and such to get an idea of the current market, and make recommendations to clients.

Under that principle, the LI subscription for that month would not be marketing/advertising.  I would be using it more as market research or client development and training.

Any suggestions as to the best category?

I'm also trying not to have too big of a "catch all" "other expense" category.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Schedule C Tax Category for LinkedIn Job Seeker Account NOT as a Job Seeker - See Below

Is there something wrong with "Other expenses"?

You can list them separately so you know the exact nature of the expense and the other categories on Schedule C are not a perfect fit.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Is there something wrong with "Other expenses"?

You can list them separately so you know the exact nature of the expense and the other categories on Schedule C are not a perfect fit.

Hi and thank you for the suggestion!  I had it there, but my "other expenses" category is becoming a little large, and I thought I read somewhere that the 'catch all' category should not be more than a certain % of income or it triggers a red flag.  

@DolceDolce wrote:

.....I thought I read somewhere that the 'catch all' category should not be more than a certain % of income or it triggers a red flag.  

Essentially, that is applicable to all of the categories.

For example, if you reported $100,000 as income and $50,000 as advertising expenses, that would probably raise that same red flag.

Regardless, the most you are likely to get out of this scenario would be a correspondence audit, and your response would simply be copies of the receipts from your expenditures.

Thank you ... I will have this one listed in Other Expenses.  I checked prior tax returns, and had double the amount for OTHER, so I think I'm good.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies