Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

S.W. Counselor

Hello, I’m a retired social worker and I often get referrals from former clients to assist their friends/relatives. They pay by Zelle, PayPal and cash app, I don’t have a registered business, what do I need to do regarding these tax changes? 

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

S.W. Counselor


You would need to claim the income on your tax return 

There are 2 ways to report the income.

  1. If it is a hobby then the income is reported on schedule 1 for the full amount of the 1099 no expenses allowed to be taken
  2. If it is a business then it would be reported on a schedule C (self-employed income). You would report the 1099 as income and then deduct the expenses you have against making that income.

You don't need a register business to report this income you would just be considered self employed and use your name as the business name


Here are a few helpful links


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Privacy Settings