Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rental property as self employment/side gig

I'm currently renting property (deeded to me) that has a mortgage loan in my deceased father's name.  Would I claim this as income and how would the interest on loan be claimed? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CLBHESQLLM
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @Vellagirl1, here is a useful article about how inherited property is taxed: https://en.intuit.com/ttl-us/ls/community/expert-answers/post/6081327600238592

Regarding the rental income itself, whether you claim it on your Schedule C or E will depend on the level of services that you are providing.  Please see this article for information regarding the taxation of that income: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/should-i-report-my-rental-on-schedule-e-or-schedul...

Would property be considered as inherited property when my name was on the deed, along with my father years prior to his death?  

Thank you for your help.

CLBHESQLLM
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @Vellagirl1, was the property jointly owned by you and your father and his interest conveyed to you after his passing?

HasaniJ
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @Vellagirl1, your question is a little more complicated than it may seem.  I would recommend contacting one our local experts on a call and have a more detailed conversation as there are many questions that you would need to be asked to get a better understanding of your situation first.  After this I believe you would receive a more detailed response to help understand where you should start and the options you have.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies