or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Serafinayrto
Level 2

Real Estate

I have refinanced my house and had to pay the real estate tax directly to the county.  Since my real estate taxes are now taking care of by my loan provider, will I be able to combine multiple real estate tax payments (self pay, via current loan provider, and previous loan provider) when I file my taxes this year?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxandtheCurious
Employee Tax Expert

Real Estate

In short, the answer is yes. The mortgage lenders should each report the amount of property taxes paid on a separate 1098-Mortgage form. Since you had 2 different lenders during the tax year, you will want to ensure that you receive a tax form from each.  Also, the best way to double check and ensure that all property tax payments have been accounted for is to check with your county tax assessor. Most counties will provide a way to look up property tax payments for a calendar year on-line. If so, you can look-up and print for your records. This will include all payments made by lenders and self-pay. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TaxandtheCurious
Employee Tax Expert

Real Estate

In short, the answer is yes. The mortgage lenders should each report the amount of property taxes paid on a separate 1098-Mortgage form. Since you had 2 different lenders during the tax year, you will want to ensure that you receive a tax form from each.  Also, the best way to double check and ensure that all property tax payments have been accounted for is to check with your county tax assessor. Most counties will provide a way to look up property tax payments for a calendar year on-line. If so, you can look-up and print for your records. This will include all payments made by lenders and self-pay. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Privacy Settings
v