Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sole Prop Taxes

I have a sole proprietorship and am confused about tax filing. From my understanding, with an SP you do not need to file separate federal taxes. Instead, you would include your income in your personal taxes. However, I live in California. Do I still need to file City and State business taxes? My income from my SP has been around $3,000/year. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
Laura_CPA
Employee Tax Expert

Sole Prop Taxes

Hi AniTar1, 

Happy to help! You are correct with an SP you file it under Schedule C along with your 1040 (personal tax return), it doesn't require a separate business filing. 

If you created a Limited Liability Company (LLC), you would be required to file Form 568 Limited Liability Company annual return. Otherwise, you just need to file your federal and state tax returns. 

Hope this helps,

Laura 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sole Prop Taxes

Thank you! Is this true even if I have an EIN? I get notices from the city saying that I may lose my Seller's Permit if I don't file my business taxes. However, what I'm hearing is that if I have a Sole Proprietorship, I don't need to file City/County business taxes. I would only need to include the income from my SP on my Federal Taxes. Is this correct?

Sole Prop Taxes

Just to clarify, but if it's a single owner LLC, then don't file the Form 568, right?

Laura_CPA
Employee Tax Expert

Sole Prop Taxes

Thank you for the additional information. If you have a Seller's permit, you do have a Sales and Use Tax filing requirement. This is an additional filing with the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (please check out their website: https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/services/#File-a-Return). In which County are you located? 

Laura_CPA
Employee Tax Expert

Sole Prop Taxes

@BellaAmar if you are a single member in an LLC, you have to file Form 568 in California. 

Sole Prop Taxes

That's helpful, thank you. I'm in Los Angeles County.

Laura_CPA
Employee Tax Expert

Sole Prop Taxes

Glad to help @AniTar1 , thank you as well for the information. There's a Los Angeles City Business Tax as well, here's how it works:  LACBT and this is the link to file the return: Annual Business Tax Return E-Filing (please listen to the video before you start e-filing the return). Also, here's how the Form looks like for your review: LACBT Form  

To summarize you have to file the following based on your business location:

• Federal Tax Return, Form 1040 (including Schedule C)
  • Form 540 California Tax Return (filed with your 1040) 
  • Sales and Use Tax (separately filed from your 1040/540 tax returns)
  • Los Angeles City Business Tax Return (separately filed from your 1040/540 tax returns)

Hope this helps you, 

Laura 

Sole Prop Taxes

This was incredibly helpful! Can you please breakdown what a Gross Receipt is? Is it the same as Gross Income? 

When filing, is it asking that I include my total gross income from my sole proprietorship or is there a different meaning to Gross Receipt?

Sole Prop Taxes

I know there are various filing dates for each of the taxes you mentioned. Can you please break down the deadlines for filing as well? Thanks in advance!

Laura_CPA
Employee Tax Expert

Sole Prop Taxes

@AniTar1 according to the Franchise Tax Board, Gross income is gross receipts minus returns and allowances, minus costs of goods sold. Goss receipts is all revenue that your business received during a given year from sales (FTB)

Sole Prop Taxes

@Laura_CPA For clarity, so for example, if I made $1000 from my business but it cost me $300 to make the goods that I sold, then the Gross Receipt that I would report is $700. Is that correct?

Laura_CPA
Employee Tax Expert

Sole Prop Taxes

@AniTar1 definitely! 1040/540 are typically due on April 15th (currently for 2022, the deadline is October 16th if you lived in a disaster declared area due to the storms). The deadline for the LACBT is February 28, 2023 (you might have to see if they will penalize you for filing late) and the deadline for the the CDTEF varies on quarterly, monthly or annual (see link CDTEF) 

Cheers,

Laura 

Laura_CPA
Employee Tax Expert

Sole Prop Taxes

@AniTar1 definitely an example works best, here it is: 

• Gross income would be $1,000 - $300 = $700. 
  • Gross receipts would be $1,000.

Cheers, 

Laura 

Sole Prop Taxes

So glad I double checked! Thank you for all your help, this has been great!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies