Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My child received a 1099-NEC form for payment she received as a referre, from a soccer club. Do I have to file a separate return for her?

It's sees odd that she is taxed on this. The total is just under $1100. If she was an employee and received a W2 for that same amount would she have been taxed on this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

My child received a 1099-NEC form for payment she received as a referre, from a soccer club. Do I have to file a separate return for her?

No, as an employee, her employer withholds taxes and contributes half of the SE taxes. Since she is not an employee, all the taxes are paid now.

So, I do have to file for her, right? 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes.    Since the amount is greater than $400 or more then your child is required to file a tax return.  There will be self employment tax that must be paid.

• First you can use expenses that your child was required to pay to earn this income, if applicable.  The net amount will then be taxed for self employment tax (social security and medicare).  An estimated tax bill without expenses based on $1100 would be $155.

You could still claim your child as a dependent if this is the only income they have.  You must create a new account if you use TurboTax Online or you can create a new return if you are using TurboTax CD/Download.

@gerstp

[Edited: 04/18/2022 | 8:00a PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies