Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bpex
Level 3

Must everything be broken down in Expenses?

If I have well-kept/categorized books and records of every transaction, is it necessary to break everything down in Business Expenses categories in TurboTax (and Business Income/Cost of Goods Sold for that matter)? As in do I have to record the specific amounts for Advertisement, Office Expenses, Taxes and Licenses etc., and even further break down each transaction within each category since it gives boxes to fill in separate ones? Or is there a catch-all where I can just enter my entire operating expenses as shown on my P&L (minus specific things like depreciating assets and startup costs)

If I do have to separate them out, would small tools and equipment under a few hundred dollars go into Supplies?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes. New categories should be listed under Miscellaneous expenses or if you would consider something a supply and regularly used for your business you can choose that category.

Likewise you can also choose the closest category description for the expenses in your accounting software that match the IRS description of expense. 

It's important not to lump all expenses into one category such as utilities or legal fees or taxes, when they are operating expenses.  Product for resale as example should definitely be listed separately as materials or supplies which have a direct impact on your gross receipts.

As you can see by looking at the Schedule C (click the link), the IRS has categories on the form similar to the TurboTax interview.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

The categories are so that the IRS can decide whether you raise any interesting questions about your expenses that they would want to take a longer look at.  

For instance, if you are a delivery driver there is a certain amount of expected mileage expense.  If you are a remote computer programmer mileage shouldn't be that high.

That's also why they ask for your business category.

You could lump everything in to one total and enter it and you would get the same bottom line as breaking it out into categories.  But it also may raise a question as to why you don't have this or the other expense for your type of business and it is generally a poor idea to get them asking those types of questions.

Small tools and equipment can go in supplies or in a separate category that you label 'small tools and equipment.  Either one works.

@Bpex 

Bpex
Level 3

I would rather do it the best way, so if I can use some separate categories that's probably better. How do I make new categories though. Would I just enter "small tools and equipment" in one box in the "Miscellaneous Expenses" or maybe under "Supplies"? Then just put in the total for that category from my P&L?

Same with some other categories that are in my Accounting software, but not in TurboTax. Just find the closest matching TurboTax category or use the Miscellaneous category, then use one box within that for the whole category? Not having to separate out each transaction, correct?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes. New categories should be listed under Miscellaneous expenses or if you would consider something a supply and regularly used for your business you can choose that category.

Likewise you can also choose the closest category description for the expenses in your accounting software that match the IRS description of expense. 

It's important not to lump all expenses into one category such as utilities or legal fees or taxes, when they are operating expenses.  Product for resale as example should definitely be listed separately as materials or supplies which have a direct impact on your gross receipts.

As you can see by looking at the Schedule C (click the link), the IRS has categories on the form similar to the TurboTax interview.

Which category should licensed software and commodity software go in?  How about business magazines and newsletters?  Thank you.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Off-the shelf software is generally a Miscellaneous expense with a custom description. Magazines & newsletters are the same.

You might look at the expense section of Schedule C or the instructions for completing Schedule C for more help categorizing your expenses to fit on the IRS schedule. See IRS About Schedule C (Form 1040).

NoteIf you enter a general business expense in the wrong category, it will not affect your taxes. Just be sure you don't enter the same expense twice.

Thank you for your thoughts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies