Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Loss on Sale of a Business Vehicle

In 2018 I traded in a business vehicle and incurred a LOSS.  However, I have tried everything but I cannot get TurboTax to show the loss.  Form 4797 shows the trade in value as a gain and forces me to pay taxes on this incorrect gain.  What am I doing wrong?  How can I get the program to properly reflect a loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I will make another suggestion because it also worked for me. I simply entered $2287 for the "sale price" and $3650 for the basis; no cost or accumulated depreciation entered.

See if that will work for you. Otherwise, I think an issue might be actually entering both the cost and basis. You might try entering one or the other but not both. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Can you post your exact figures (cost, value at disposition, dates, etc.)?

Don't forget that you have depreciation allowed (or allowable) to factor into the equation.

Thanks for the reply!  I traded in a vehicle and these figures represent the business portion of the transaction:

Selling Price $2287

Depreciation to date (derived from the standard mileage rates for each year) $3738

Original cost:  $7388

Again, these figures represent the business portion for a 2011 Toyota Rav 4.  The remainder of the transaction was related to personal use.  I just cannot figure out how to get Turbotax to recognize a LOSS on the disposition of a vehicle used for business.

I entered your figures several ways (as an asset subject to depreciation and as a "business vehicle expense" that was disposed of) and was able to get my copy of TurboTax Home & Business to recognize a loss. 

Which version of TurboTax are you using and how are you entering the figures? This should not really be all that difficult.

Thanks again so much for your help.  I am using TurboTax 2018 desktop version.  I enter the data on the step by step screens for Business Income and Expenses (vehicle section)

1.  I answer the prompts and get a standard mileage deduction for 2018.

2.  Then it goes on to the vehicle disposition section:

3.  I enter the sales price (business portion) $2287

4.  Next screen, I enter vehicle total cost:  $7388

5.  Then I enter basis for gain $3650 (cost $7388 less accumulated depreciation $3738)

6.  Then I enter Prior Depreciation Equivalent $3738 (from the standard mileage rates 2011-2018)

7.  The program always says I have a GAIN of $2287

BTW, I am using TurboTax Deluxe.

As I stated earlier, I am using Home & Business, but that should not make much of a difference. Regardless, I suspect you should be entering $7388 as your basis, not $3650. That should get you closer, at least you will show a loss.

Well, I did what you suggested and it still shows a gain of $2287 (equal to the sale price).  For some reason, the program is not recognizing the accumulated depreciation.  I appreciate your patience.  If it's not too much trouble can you tell me the screen entries you are making to get to the loss?  I won't keep bothering but it would be nice to know if it is a limitation of the TurboTax.

Thanks again.

I will make another suggestion because it also worked for me. I simply entered $2287 for the "sale price" and $3650 for the basis; no cost or accumulated depreciation entered.

See if that will work for you. Otherwise, I think an issue might be actually entering both the cost and basis. You might try entering one or the other but not both. 

tmrauch

I am having the exact same issue. No matter what I do, TurboTax keeps calculating a gain on my vehicle sale eventhough I'm sure it should be a loss. I even tried the suggestion from tagteam and, although the gain was much smaller, it STILL came up with a gain. It's very frustrating. In my case, based on mileage, the car was used 69% for business, got $7000 as a trade value (69% of $7000 = sale of $4830). Bought it for $28,000, reduced for depreciation using standard mileage reported over the last 5 years to an adjusted cost of $8759. When I take 69% of that, it's a cost of $6043 and a sale of $4830. How is that not a loss? It's really so frustrating. I have started to enter my data  into a different product. I've wasted so much time on this now. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies