turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TheMitchman
Returning Member

eBay seller at a loss

Hello,

I sell used personal items (books, movies, etc.) on eBay. I generate no taxable income because I sell the items for less than what I paid for them. I will receive a 1099-K for Tax Year 2022. 

How will I account for my sales on my 2022 Form 1040? Do I need to complete a Schedule C? What records do I need to keep and provide to show that I made no profit?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KochuK
Employee Tax Expert

eBay seller at a loss

Hi TheMitchman, thanks for posting the question.

Below is from Opus17 TurboTax Community posting:

The difference between a hobby and a business depends on your intent.  Here is the 9 factor test the IRS uses.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/earning-side-income-is-it-a-hobby-or-a-business

Basically, if it is a regular and ongoing effort with a profit motive, it is a business, even if it is small

Unquote

Therefore, if you report on Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business, your cost basis is likely to be the fair market value at the time of sale since it is an used items. Fair market value at the time of sale to an unrelated 3rd party in an open sale platform is a good indication of your adjusted  cost basis. (not the amount paid by you when the item is new)

Hope the above helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TheMitchman
Returning Member

eBay seller at a loss

Thanks KochuK,

If based on the 9 factor test I determine that my activity is a hobby, what are my reporting responsibilities? Do I need to account for the amount on my 1099-K on my 1040?

Thanks!

KochuK
Employee Tax Expert

eBay seller at a loss

Hi The Mitchman,

Beginning in 2018, the IRS doesn't allow you to deduct hobby expenses from hobby income. you must claim all hobby income and are not permitted to reduce that income by any expenses.

For hobby expense deduction, unless you can itemize deductions on Schedule A, it is not helpful.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/4-tax-tips-for-money-making-hobbies/L89qz...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/how-do-i-declare-hobby-income/00/765831

Thanks.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies