Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2018geogeo
Returning Member

Do I need a new EIN?

Hello!

I was a sole proprietorship with no employees and had an EIN. I filed for a LLC with my spouse in Texas. We will be treated as a single-member llc. Do I need to get a new EIN?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

Do I need a new EIN?

Yes, you will need a new EIN.  However, you cannot be treated as a Single Member LLC if you are both members of the LLC.  If you and your spouse are both members, you can file as a Partnership filing a Form 1065 (using TurboTax Business)  Then, the Partnership will create Schedule K-1 forms for you both to report on your personal tax return.   

Or, you can file as a Qualified Joint Venture since Texas is a Community Property State.  If you make that election, you will file two Schedule C forms and split the income,deductions, etc.  You can read more details at this link.   

Note: This election to file as a Qualified Joint Venture is only allowed when the LLC is owned only by two spouses and it is in a Community Property state.

"A business owned and operated by the spouses through a limited liability company does not qualify for the election

Only businesses that are owned and operated by spouses as co-owners (and not in the name of a state law entity) qualify for the election. See Rev. Proc. 2002-69, 2002-2 C.B. 831, for special rules applicable to husband and wife state law entities in community property states."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies