turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dea484
Returning Member

are currency conversion losses a business expense?

If you earn foreign currency and use the exchange rate at the time of receiving the foreign payment but convert it to u.s. dollars at a later time and exchange rate decreases causing a loss can this loss be claimed as a business expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You have to report the amounts on your U.S. tax return in U.S. dollars and you would use the exchange rate prevailing (i.e., the spot rate) when you receive, pay or accrue the item.

See https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/yearly-average-currency-exchange-rates

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

That's not a loss by any stretch of the imagination. You just report less income in U.S. dollars is all.

You have to report the amounts on your U.S. tax return in U.S. dollars and you would use the exchange rate prevailing (i.e., the spot rate) when you receive, pay or accrue the item.

See https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/yearly-average-currency-exchange-rates

dea484
Returning Member

Thank you for your help, unfortunately I believe I would be getting a 1099k based on the exchange rate at the time of receiving the foreign currency. Would it be better to claim conversion losses as a business expense to not cause a discrepancy for 1099k reported amount or would reporting less income be okay in this circumstance. 

Carl
Level 15

I believe I would be getting a 1099k based on the exchange rate at the time of receiving the foreign currency.

Then you have no loss to claim - but you do have income to report, which will be the U.S. dollar amount reported on the 1099-K.

Even if the rate was better for you at the time of billing, it doesn't matter. You flat out can not deduct from your taxable income, that which you never received or paid taxes on in the first place. You claim as income the *exact* amount reported on the 1099-K. No more. No less. No exceptions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies