turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099K from Facebook and eBay sales

Hello!  I am a collector of action figures and have amassed quite a few over the years.  I routinely had bought and sold (usually at a loss when it was all said and done after fees and shipping) compared to what I usually paid.  I know that since I collect and sell high end (expensive) figures that I will hit the thresholds.  What do I need to have prepared to show that I took a loss on these?  I intentionally don’t sell over what I paid for things so that I don’t take a profit as the intent of me selling them is to buy different ones not run a business or make a profit.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1099K from Facebook and eBay sales

I am curious about this too. I do the same thing with music instruments, I buy them and usually sell the ones I don't use so I can fund the purchase of others. Pretty much every one I sold was less than what I paid, I'm wanting to know what will I need to do to document all these sales and calculate tax owed.

Eg: will I total all the sales together and calculate a profit or loss for the 1099-K form? If I'm at a loss, will this offset my total income and lower my overall tax owed? I have also sold odd items from around my house, will I also add these into the same form? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies