turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-K for sending/receiving money NOT INCOME

Hi. I regularly send family (and sometimes friends) money ($25 min up to $1,000 max) through Zelle, CashApp, and Venmo. Do I have to pay taxes on my own money that's sent as a gift or to pay half of a joint bill or even from one account to another at a different institution? I do not receive money appropriated as income via these apps. I assume I will receive a 1099-K but since it's not income-related, how do I file so I WILL NOT be taxed on it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

You do not have to pay taxes on money that's sent to you as a gift, to pay half of a joint bill, or from one of your accounts to another account at a different institution.  This does not necessarily mean it will not get reported to the IRS.  If it gets reported to IRS (you receive a 1099), you will need to report it on your tax return.  You still will not pay taxes on it if it is not income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok, just to be clear because you worded your response differently than my question, regardless of whether I am the one sending or receiving money for the same purposes (a gift, to pay half of a joint bill, or from one of my accounts to another account at a different institution, etc.), I will not have to pay taxes on it since it's not income?  However, I may still receive a 1099 because the companies may likely report a transfer of money occurred and I would have to include that in my tax return - - though not as income. 

Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

That's correct.  The companies can't tell you if it's taxable or not.  IRS decides that.  The companies have new laws to go by for 2022 reporting so it's going to be a complicated time when the 1099 forms come out.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies