Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

!099 NEC and Schedule C

I am retired (since 2019 and collecting Social Security) but last year was contacted by a previous client to provide a training program that I had done for them in the past.  I did the training (which required travel) and was paid on a 1099-NEC.  This is probably a one off event and won't happen going forward.  TurboTax Premier wants to treat this as self employed and complete a Schedule C.  Is this the right way to do this as I am not looking to be an "ongoing concern".

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

!099 NEC and Schedule C

No, based on the information you provided, this appears to be "other income," and not self-employment income.  To enter other income in TurboTax online, click on Wages & Income, scroll down the page to Less common income, click on the drop-down arrow and select Miscellaneous Income.  From the list select Other reportable income and respond to the questions on the screens that follow.  

@phil106

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

!099 NEC and Schedule C

Thanks for your prompt response.  If I have some travel expenses associated with this income (getting to the client to deliver the class) is there still a way to deduct them using the income approach you described.

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

!099 NEC and Schedule C

No, if you want to use the travel expenses to offset the income, then you need to report both on a Schedule C.  You can have a Schedule C for one year only and not create a flag with the IRS.

@phil106

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies