Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Process to close my new S Corp before commencing operation

I recently (04 Jan 2024) opened a single member S Corp (based on advise from CPA on tax benefits), I haven't conducted any business with this S Corp (I'm based in Maryland) yet, so $0 in/out (no asset or anything).

I would like to close this S Corp and open a LLC to keep it simple for my year-end taxes (as I don't want additional overhead that comes with S Corp of running payroll, profit/loss process, board meetings, etc).

What I have now is EIN from IRS, Business Bank accounts and business credit card.

I just want to start clean with new LLC and close the S Corp.

1. Is it possible for me to elect my current S Corp to be taxed as LLC (a change in status) ? If yes, How would I do that ?
  2. If not, what are the actions I need to take to properly close this S Corp ?
    • With state (MD), I see the process is straight-forward, I can apply for dissolution of my company with the state following their process.
    • What steps I need to take with IRS for closing my EIN ? (I'm not clear on this). 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Do you have corporation that you elected S-Corp status for, or do you have an LLC that you requested S-Corp status for?  You should be able to tell by the name - if it has LLC, Ltd, Limited Liability Company, etc. as a part of the name, its an LLC.  If it has Inc., Incorporated, etc. it's a corporation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you checking. It is "Inc"

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

An S-Corp isn't a type of corporation.  It's the way that the corporation is taxed.  You have not filed an S-election with the IRS (which is a separate form that is often included with the first year's tax return) so you are not an S-corp yet even though you structured your corporation with the intention of becoming one.  

In order to change your simple corporation to an LLC I would advise you to consult an attorney in your area.  There should just be a couple of quick documents to file and your company will be changed over.  

@arunpselvam 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies