Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rhodes06
Returning Member

Proceeds received from sale of home

My husband's father passed away in October 2019.  His father had been living in his deceased wife's home since her passing in 2009.  The home was in her children's name, my husband's step-sister and step-brother.  When the home sold in September 2020, the step-siblings wanted to share the proceeds with my husband.  During the closing process, my husband did not receive a 1099 since he was not listed as a seller.  My question is how do we report those proceeds we received from the sale of the home?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Slan0227
Returning Member

Proceeds received from sale of home

Since your husband didn't have any vested financial interest in the home he wouldn't receive a 1099 for the home sale. The money received from his step siblings is considered a gift.  Gift treatment is a bit different. The person(s) who gave the gift files the gift tax return, if necessary, and pays any tax. Essentially, gifts are neither taxable nor deductible on your tax return. The annual exclusion for gifts is $15,000 for 2020.

Here's a great article on The Gift Tax https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/estates/the-gift-tax/L1sFpFeXV

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies