Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Premium Tax Credit Eligibility (Health Insurance Premiums)

I am married and self employed; my spouse does not work.  I purchase a health insurance plan through Ambetter from Sunshine Health in Florida for my spouse and myself each year.  My annual business adjusted income will be ~$200,000 this year.   I received a 1095-A Health Insurance Marketplace statement (as I usually do) this year.

In TT, I searched for 1095-A and jumped to the form to enter the numbers.  All of the box A column has my premiums listed on the form, so I enter them.  All of the box B column is blank (and C as well) on the form, so I leave them blank in TT.  Turbo tax rejects this and requires a non-zero number in the box B column.  The help tells me that if box B column has zeros, I need to contact my carrier for the proper numbers or go to the healthcare.gov website to use their online tool to get the numbers.

I go to the website and get their numbers for my household size (2) and zip code and fill in the box B column in TT.  I check the box saying I'm self employed and purchased a marketplace plan (not sure if that's correct since I purchased a plan through Ambetter but received a 1095-A "marketplace" premiums statement, and I also select the business I am associating the plan with.

Now TT tells me I'm getting a $3,000+ premium tax credit for my health insurance premiums!  However, when I read about the premium tax credit on the IRS site, it says to be eligible for this tax credit, the household income can be no more than 400% of the federal poverty line for my family size.  According to the healthcare.gov web site, the FPL for 2022 for a family of 2 is about $18,000.  Four times that would be less than $80,000.  How can I be eligible for a tax credit when my income clearly exceeds the eligibility requirements?

Am I ineligible because my Ambetter marketplace plan was not actually purchased through the marketplace.gov website?   I figured if I received a 1095-A I was required to enter that information for my return, but if I do, TT requires me to fill in box B column, which then generates this refund that seems incorrect for my income.

Can anyone provide any clarity for my confusion regarding the reporting of self-employed health care premiums with a 1095-A in TurboTax? 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Premium Tax Credit Eligibility (Health Insurance Premiums)

TurboTax calculations seem correct. You are correct in filling column B with the numbers given by the Tax tool.

For tax years 2021 and 2022, households with income higher than 400% of the poverty level may receive a premium tax credit if the total SLCSP in column B is more than 8.5% of the household income.

Please read this IRS document for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies