Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Persistent TurboTax Error

Using TurboTax Home and Business 2021, I can't overcome a Smart Check error detection:

"Schedule E Worksheet (100 N. Nugent Ave) Line 4-Royalty Income - Income from rental real estate and income from royalties must be reported as separate properties on Schedule E."

I have reported no royalties whatsoever.  The box on the Schedule E worksheet is being automatically marked "0" by the software, theoretically from an error on the supporting K-1 (business profit) or 1099-MISC (rent paid).  Can anyone help me overcome this issue that threatens to delay my submission?

-John

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Please review Schedule E, pg1 (all copies) to confirm that no property under Line 1b has Type of Property #6 (Royalty), then check Line 23B on Copy 1 to confirm there is no Royalty Income from any source.

If you find a Royalty Property (#6) or Royalty Income, you can trace the source down by right-clicking the amount and choosing "Data Source." In some cases, you will go through more than one source to find the actual entry.

Note that Lines A, B, C under Line 1b relate to Columns A, B, C on Line 4.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Please review Schedule E, pg1 (all copies) to confirm that no property under Line 1b has Type of Property #6 (Royalty), then check Line 23B on Copy 1 to confirm there is no Royalty Income from any source.

If you find a Royalty Property (#6) or Royalty Income, you can trace the source down by right-clicking the amount and choosing "Data Source." In some cases, you will go through more than one source to find the actual entry.

Note that Lines A, B, C under Line 1b relate to Columns A, B, C on Line 4.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies