Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No profit from LLC for two consecutive years...

Hello,

I am in the same boat as a lot of other people. My small business (an LLC in Michigan) has not net a profit for the last two years. I submitted all of the documentation when paying my taxes the last two years, and received the standard "maybe this is a hobby rather than a business" message last year. Should I just stop reporting this as a business altogether? I don't want any problems down the road, but for beekeeping, the expenses are high, and the revenue is negligible. Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Moneyless in Michigan

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
zclar
Employee Tax Expert

Hi rachelrenee1,

I understand how tough it may be with running a business and trying to turn a profit. You are correct, if your business claims a net loss for too many years, or fails to meet other requirements, the IRS may classify it as a hobby. If the IRS classifies your business as a hobby, it won't allow you to deduct any expenses or take any loss for it on your tax return. If the IRS classifies your business as a hobby, you'll have to prove that you had a valid profit motive if you want to claim those deductions.

If you are generating income, the IRS requires you to report all your income; hobby income is no exception. You just wouldn't take deductions on that hobby.

Here are some helpful articles to help guide you further:

When the IRS Classifies Your Business as a Hobby 

Here’s how to tell the difference between a hobby and a business for tax purposes 

Earning side income: Is it a hobby or a business? 

Art EA
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS will determine if it is a hobby loss and if you have a large loss they could define it as a hobby loss after three years of losses.  I have normally found that they will not bother to look at it with a small loss.  Good luck and hope your income increases.

ArtEA

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies