Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need help with gain from vehicle early lease-end

Hello all

I need help with the early turn-in of a leased business vehicle.

I turned in a leased truck before lease-end and the dealer issued a check to me for equity I had in the vehicle, which was $6,000. I did not purchase or lease a new vehicle from this dealer as part of this transaction.

I entered all of the relevant expenses, mileage, and the date I disposed of the vehicle.

Turbotax (Federal) did not request any info regarding the $6,000 I received from the dealer, I guess because I did not own the vehicle and it's not seen as a asset sale.  Therefore there is no reference to this income on Schedule C or D...

However, when I continued to the state (PA) prep sections, the "sale" is showing on PA Schedule D. During the state review I am prompted to enter cost basis and sale price. My cost basis for the truck is minimal so the capital gain is almost the full $6,000 which seems correct to me.

Why is this not showing anywhere on my Federal return but is automatically transferred to my state return?

And how do I correct the Federal without it transferring a second time to the state return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies