Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need Advice: First Year as Self-Employed in the US

Hi everyone,

I started working as self-employed in February 2024 with an income above the minimum payment threshold. Before this, I had no income in 2023. I recently got my Green Card, and this will be my first year filing any taxes in the US. I just learned that self-employed individuals need to pay quarterly taxes.

Given that this is my first year and I plan to file jointly with my husband in April 2025, is it possible to file Form 1040 without facing penalties for not paying quarterly taxes? Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Hello

Hello there! You may be able to avoid penalties because this is your first year and you intend to file jointly with your spouse if your tax withholding and payments account for at least 90% of your 2024 tax obligation or 100% of your 2023 tax liability. Seeking advice from a tax expert is a smart move to make sure you're fulfilling all the criteria. Wishing you luck!

Regards

Nisha Marshall

[link removed]

Observe your earnings and outlays with great care. To keep organized, use applications or tools for budgeting. Emergency Fund: Set aside money for unforeseen costs and poor business times. Try to save up to three to six months' worth of living costs. visits here [link removed]

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@AndyRubyRei , while I agree with comments  from  @Bsch4477 , @nishamarshallll  and @rajajackson ,  what concerns  me more is that you did not mention anything about:

(a) type of entity  you   ( LLC,  Partnership, C-Corp.,  S-Corp etc. etc. ) or are you a free-lance. There are major implications based on the type of entity.

(b) How did you file in 2023 --- Joint or  Married Filing Sep or  none ?

(c)  Is your spouse a wage worker or also self-employed ?   Again this offers  a way to  pay in your  "estimated taxes" per quarter .

(d) what state are you a resident of ?

I will circle back once I hear from  you , assuming you still need help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies