Stephanie75

Money transfer to help a soldier

My fiancé (not married) and I live together and have separate bank accounts.  He is currently deployed overseas with the Army.  He transfers a scheduled amount of money each month to me through Zelle to pay for his bills here at home, help out with car/home repairs, pay for his kids extracurriculars, etc.  I keep a separate check register just for this money.  How can I show this is not income for me?  I am paying expenses he would have paid if he were not deployed.

Bsch4477

Money transfer to help a soldier

As far as I can determine Zelle does not report payments to the IRS. 

https://www.zellepay.com/faq/does-zelle-report-how-much-money-i-receive-irs?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjbyYBhCdAR...

Money transfer to help a soldier

Gifts are not taxable income, and this type of transfer should not be reported by the bank.

If it does get reported, there is a way to list it on the tax form so the IRS computer sees it and then take it back it out so you don't pay the tax.  Ask back in February if you do indeed get a tax form from the bank.