Steve0622

LLC

I am self employed and opened an LLC in July. I've also invested in an online business which hasn't earned a profit yet. Are these all write-offs and is there a Turbo Tax program I should use this year?

gkacpa

LLC

Hello @Steve0622 , great question!

I will need a bit more information about your LLC in order to answer this question specifically.

Generally, if you are a Single-Member LLC (SMLLC), they are disregarded for Federal purposes. This means that the Federal government does not recognize SMLLCs as separately taxed entities, which means that you would treat the SMLLC as if it were a sole-proprietorship for tax purposes, reported on your Schedule C like you have your other self-employment activities. You will need to report a separate Schedule C for this business and put the LLC information (name, EIN, etc.) on that Schedule C. You can use TurboTax Online or Desktop for individuals, just as you have in prior years.

If it is a multi-member LLC (more than one owner), you will need to file a separate business tax return for the entity, depending on how you have elected to be taxed (as a C-Corp, S-Corp, or Partnership). You will pick up a K-1 from the business tax return that will go on your individual return. You can prepare business tax returns with TurboTax Business

Also keep in mind that states have varying rules on reporting SMLLCs or Multi-Member LLCs. I would check with your state tax department to see what the filing requirements are for your state on these entity types.