Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Momosgirl
Returning Member

LLC or S Corp

I believe I am an LLC taxed as sole proprietorship. Is there a better way? Do I want to have my LLC taxed as a corporation or as an S corporation?  What factors would make that more advantageous?
Could I still file via TurboTax or would filing become much more complicated and require me to hire someone?
Would I be contributing to Social Security?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RossP88
Expert Alumni

LLC or S Corp

Hi! I'm a TurboTax Live CPA.  The major advantages to being taxed as an S-Corp is that it is possible to avoid some of the self-employment tax associated with the earnings of your business. As a single member disregarded entity, 100% of your profit will be considered self-employment income and subject to the self-employment tax. As a shareholder in an S-corporation you would be only subject to employment taxes on what you earn as a wage from your business and not the profits entirely. It is important to note that you would have to be compensated via W-2 if you were to render services to your S-corp if you render services as an employee. The major drawback of the S-corp approach is that it is much more complicated since you will be filing 2 returns. You can use TurboTax Business for the preparation of your S-corp return but it may be advisable to get professional assistance doing it the first time or two. The self-employment tax is the equivalent of contributing to social security. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RossP88
Expert Alumni

LLC or S Corp

Hi! I'm a TurboTax Live CPA.  The major advantages to being taxed as an S-Corp is that it is possible to avoid some of the self-employment tax associated with the earnings of your business. As a single member disregarded entity, 100% of your profit will be considered self-employment income and subject to the self-employment tax. As a shareholder in an S-corporation you would be only subject to employment taxes on what you earn as a wage from your business and not the profits entirely. It is important to note that you would have to be compensated via W-2 if you were to render services to your S-corp if you render services as an employee. The major drawback of the S-corp approach is that it is much more complicated since you will be filing 2 returns. You can use TurboTax Business for the preparation of your S-corp return but it may be advisable to get professional assistance doing it the first time or two. The self-employment tax is the equivalent of contributing to social security. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies