Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Increasing W2 withholdings to offset what would be owed for my self-employment income

I have a W2 Salary job, 1099 self employed income, and started a separate LLC I formed in a different state in early june for online sales income. I have not filed taxes quarterly. The income from my LLC is greatly outpacing my W2 income this year and I am worried about incurring penalty fees for not filing quarterly and just paying them at the end of the year.

If I increased the tax withholding from my Salary job enough to meet my expected taxes owed from my LLC income, would that allow me to avoid penalties/fees from not filing quarterly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rschule1
Expert Alumni

Increasing W2 withholdings to offset what would be owed for my self-employment income

Hi There:

If payment is timely, increased W2 withholding can be used in lieu of estimated tax payments.  The New IRS W4-Line 4 C will allow an extra dollar amount to be withheld per period. Depending on your employer, you might be able to to make the change online through employer payroll dept. If not, please turn in paper form to employer payroll dept.

W4 Form

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies