Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

br-p

If I spent around 90% of my state unemployment money for tools for my self-employment all bought from authorized retailers, can that be used as deductions on a 1040?

The unemployment pay from the State was the entire amount of monies that I received the entire year of 2021. Not one penny was made as income all year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JillS56
Expert Alumni

If I spent around 90% of my state unemployment money for tools for my self-employment all bought from authorized retailers, can that be used as deductions on a 1040?

You have to report the unemployment as income on your return through the 1099-G.   Regardless of what you spent the money on, it is considered income and you have to report it as income.

The purchase of the tools just becomes an expense of the business and is  deducted as a business expense.   It does not matter where the money came from to purchase the tools.    

The expense would be reported on the Schedule C (if you are a sole-proprietor or have a single member LLC).   

The fact that you used the unemployment to buy these tools, you may want to consult an accountant so that this is reflected correctly in your business records.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies