Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jpnadere

I received a 1099-MISC. The form stated I had $54,000 in income but did not include any of the wagers I spent in order to win that money. Can I deduct these purchases?

I can almost guarantee I spent more than the form says I won. If I cannot deduct the purchases, my tax bill is $14,000 which would destroy my wife and I.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I received a 1099-MISC. The form stated I had $54,000 in income but did not include any of the wagers I spent in order to win that money. Can I deduct these purchases?

You can deduct gambling losses not greater than your winnings if you itemize. You should have some documentation of your losses. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Remember that as far as tax reporting goes, taxable income is winnings for the year less losses or cost of the year.

Most "Fantasy Sport" sites only issue the 1099-MISC for your profit, or the difference, your winnings over your cost. 

HERE is a link with more information. 

@jpnadere 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies