Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kndecrow

I have a solo 401K with my S Corp (only employee). I deducted my contribution as an expense and filed using turbotax for business. how do I record this in my personal return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

I have a solo 401K with my S Corp (only employee). I deducted my contribution as an expense and filed using turbotax for business. how do I record this in my personal return?

More information may help resolve your issue. For example, did you include your full salary before the 401(k) contribution made by you as an employee as a deduction on your Form 1120S tax return?  Did you report the 401(k) contribution you made in box 12 of your W-2 from the S Corp?

As a shareholder, your S Corp isn't allowed to contribute to your 401(k).  Instead, the contribution to the 401(k) must be made from your W-2 wages paid by the S Corp.

See the IRS website at this link for more information on retirement plan contributions by an S Corp ....

See the IRS website at this link for Retirement Plan FAQs for S Corps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

More information may help resolve your issue. For example, did you include your full salary before the 401(k) contribution made by you as an employee as a deduction on your Form 1120S tax return?  Did you report the 401(k) contribution you made in box 12 of your W-2 from the S Corp?

As a shareholder, your S Corp isn't allowed to contribute to your 401(k).  Instead, the contribution to the 401(k) must be made from your W-2 wages paid by the S Corp.

See the IRS website at this link for more information on retirement plan contributions by an S Corp ....

See the IRS website at this link for Retirement Plan FAQs for S Corps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

If you are "truly" an employee of your S-Corp (and you most certainly can be) then that means the S-Corp issued you a W-2. Therefore, your 401(k) contributions should be in box 12 with a code "D" indicated. If so, that amount in box 12 is not included in box 1 of the W-2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies