Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am training to be a clergyperson and did a paid church internship in summer 2023, but I was not yet ordained. Does this count as clergy income, or other income?

I received a 1099-NEC for the internship stipend, and I'm hung up on the part where TurboTax is asking me if this falls under Education, Clergy Services, Research, Music Performing, Legal Services, or None Of These.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

I am training to be a clergyperson and did a paid church internship in summer 2023, but I was not yet ordained. Does this count as clergy income, or other income?

This would be considered other income because you were not yet a minister or officially a clergy person. However it would be considered self employment income subject to self employment taxes (social security and medicare taxes), as well as personal income tax.''

You should use your address as the business address, and your name as the business name. This is not clergy income as of yet, but a paid internship as you work towards your end goal of clergy person.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies