Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kjsmm
Returning Member

I am stuck- 1099-MISC Box 3. Its asking me to type into the box to the left of Schedule C. I have no clue what it wants from me. I cannot file without resolving the issue

I am totally out of ideas. I dont even know if it wants a number or a word. I am absolutely clueless, and filing is hinging on this one box.
I got disconnected from customer service, I would love to be reconnected please.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AamilD
Expert Alumni

I am stuck- 1099-MISC Box 3. Its asking me to type into the box to the left of Schedule C. I have no clue what it wants from me. I cannot file without resolving the issue

@kjsmm , Delete the first 1099-Misc to clear out the program and then enter as below.

You can enter the 1099-MISC in TurboTax as "Other Common Income. Please use the following steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income.
  2. Scroll down to the Other Common Income section.
  3. Click on the Start/Revisit box next Form 1099-MISC. 
  4. On the screen Did you get a 1099-MISC?   Yes 
  5. Enter the information from the 1099-MISC.

6. On the following screens, answer the following questions:
    • Did it involve work that's like your main job? No.
    • You got it in 2021
    • No, it didn't involve an intent to earn money

7.  Continue through the rest of the interview screens. The income will appear as Other Income.

Here's the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If this is not business income, you need to indicate that.

To enter a 1099-MISC for miscellaneous income in TurboTax:

1. Open or continue your return
  2. Search for 1099-misc and select the Jump-to link

1. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?
    • If you already entered a 1099-MISC, you'll be on the 1099-MISC Summary screen, in which case you'll select Add Another 1099-MISC
    • If you need to edit or delete a previously entered 1099-MISC, select the appropriate button

To exclude it as business income, say NO to the questions regarding the intent to earn money and that it involved work like your main job.

kjsmm
Returning Member

this is for a few free stocks I got when I opened a Webull account. I automatically transferred the documents into turbotax?

Does it think im a business owner?

I am so confused.

AamilD
Expert Alumni

@kjsmm , Delete the first 1099-Misc to clear out the program and then enter as below.

You can enter the 1099-MISC in TurboTax as "Other Common Income. Please use the following steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income.
  2. Scroll down to the Other Common Income section.
  3. Click on the Start/Revisit box next Form 1099-MISC. 
  4. On the screen Did you get a 1099-MISC?   Yes 
  5. Enter the information from the 1099-MISC.

6. On the following screens, answer the following questions:
    • Did it involve work that's like your main job? No.
    • You got it in 2021
    • No, it didn't involve an intent to earn money

7.  Continue through the rest of the interview screens. The income will appear as Other Income.

Here's the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.
kjsmm
Returning Member

Thank you, you solved the problem!

Cheers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies