Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to split expenses for home office if part of home is rented out?

I live on the upstairs floor of my home and the downstairs is rented out as a short-term rental. I'm getting mixed responses from help agents about how to divide this up and calculate expenses.

As I understand it:

• The home office should be a portion of only half of the home that is used for personal use. Let's say 50sqft inside the 500 upstairs of a 1000sqft home.
  • For the home office deduction, all expenses, repairs, etc that apply to the entire home should be divided in half to reflect half used for personal occupancy.
  • For the rental property deduction, the same should apply with everything divided in half to reflect the other half being used for rental property.
  • For expenses that apply to only the small business or the rental portions, they should be captured in each respective section in addition to the 1/2 captured that apply to the whole home.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

How to split expenses for home office if part of home is rented out?

It seems like you have a pretty good grasp of how you should treat your expenses.  In addition to allocating your expenses, you will also need to depreciate 50% of the home for the rental, and another 5% for your home office.  There is also the option of using the simplified method for your home office.  For more information see The Home Office Deduction

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies