Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tsunghua
Returning Member

How to determine the amount of Retirement Contribution Allocation attributable to my business

I use TT Deluxe.  On the screen entitled "Retirement Contribution Allocation", it asks to

"Enter the amount of your $21,311 Keogh, SEP, SIMPLE or 401(K) plan contribution deduction attributable to Consultation," where 

• $21,311 is my net business income minus deductible self-employment tax (which is the maximum allowable amount that I can contribute to my individual 401(k) per my understanding), and
  • "Consultation" is my business.  

My self-employed health insurance deduction amount is $18,606, although I am not sure whether this piece of information would be relevant to my question below.  

My question:   What does the amount I enter in this question actually mean practically?  Is it that I could contribute only that amount to my individual 401(k) plan?  Or, does it mean I could contribute $21,311 regardless of what amount I enter into the box?    

I tried different answers for my situation.  The federal tax due would be the smallest when I answered with any amount between $0 and $363 in the box.  Choosing any amount above $363 increased the federal tax due; and the larger the amount, the greater the tax.   

Thank you in advance for your help.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies