turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

val0816

How do you file a 1099-Misc for Paid Family Leave for Oregon if it's making me report as self-employed and I was not self-employed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

How do you file a 1099-Misc for Paid Family Leave for Oregon if it's making me report as self-employed and I was not self-employed?

To enter your 1099-MISC form:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Select Search, enter 1099-misc and select Jump to 1099-misc.
    • Or go to Wages & Income and select Start next to Form 1099-MISC under Other Common Income.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?
    • If you already entered a 1099-MISC, on the 1099-MISC Summary screen select Add Another 1099-MISC.
  4. Enter the info from your form into the corresponding boxes
  5. On the screen titled "Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC", enter Paid Family Leave and Continue.
  6. On the next screen titled "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?", select None of these apply and Continue.
  7. On the next screen asking whether the income involves work that's like your main job, select No, it didn't involve work like your main job.  Select Continue.

TurboTax will carry over the information to your state return when you prepare it.

Benefits received from the Paid Leave Oregon program generally are taxable income:

• Family leave benefits are fully taxable. 
  • Safe leave benefits are fully taxable. 
  • Medical leave benefits are taxable based on the ratio of employer contributions to total employer and employee contributions.
  •  Assistance grants received from the Paid Leave Oregon program are generally taxable.

OR Department of Revenue

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
val0816

Thank you for the help. I actually couldn't get passed the review process by using the 1099-misc. form. I ended up entering the data into the 1099-G form for paid family leave. It was the only way to get around the review process. I believe they truly meant to send this form type instead. Oregon paid leave is new beginning in 2023 so they are still working everything out. 

Thank you to this community. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies