turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home Office and Renting a Room

Hello -

I am a self employed musician, and I have a large, detached studio behind the house that I purchased earlier this year. I also rent out a bedroom in my house. I am struggling to divide up my depreciation deductions for this year - do I need to subtract the cost basis of my home office from the total value of my house before calculating depreciation on my rental room? Or do I just use both percentages on the total value of the home? I apologize if this doesn’t make total sense - juggling the deductions for the two separate spaces has been a struggle. Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you 🙂 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If the detached studio was a separate purchase and it is used 100% for your business, just depreciate the cost of the studio separately as a business asset on its own.  Do not consider it a 'home office' in this case, since it is not a part of your home, but a separate structure.

Otherwise, if you are considering the cost of the studio and the cost of the house as one single unit, you would use the same cost basis in both scenarios.  The depreciation would be calculated on the percent of the total house that is being used for each purpose, generally based on the percent of the total square feet being rented or used as a home office.  

@Laura30

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. The separate structure was included in the purchase of the home. To calculate the percentage allocated to the studio, I subtracted out the square footage that is being rented from the total square footage of the home. When my roommate eventually moves out, the percentage allocated to my home office will go down. Will I be able to adjust the amount being depreciated adjust at that point? 

Thank you again for the help! 

Carl
Level 15

I think you are misunderstanding the reply given.

- You have a physically separate structure on  your property that is 100% business use by a business that you report on SCH C as a physical part of your personal 1040 tax return.

- You have a room in your main residence that you are renting out to another, and you report this on SCH E as a physical part of your personal tax return.

Both of the above are a business. The SCH C business produces earned income, sometimes referred to as active income. To get that income you have go out and "DO SOMETHING" on a recurring basis to get that money.

The SCH E business produces passive income. You do not do "ANYTHING" on a recurring basis to get paid that money on a regular basis. All you do is "sit there" doing nothing for this money on a recurring basis, other than collecting it.

Since the SCH C business is physically located in a physically separate structure, then treat it that way for tax purposes.

First, determine the total square footage of all structures on your property. Then determine the square footage for the SCH C home office building "ONLY". Now divide the SQ FT of the office structure by the total SQ FT of all structures on your property. This will give you the percentage of the total square footage that is SCH C business use only. So if the total square footage of all structures on your property is 1000 square feet, and the separate structure which you use 100% for the SCH C business is 250 square feet, 250 divided by 1000 is .25, which means the home office structure occupies 25% of your total square footage.

Therefore, you can claim 25% of your mortgage interest, property taxes, homeowners insurance, and utility bills as a SCH C business expense. Additionally, 25% of your cost basis in the property (structure value only) will be used for depreciation over the next 39 years. 

There is one exception. If you have only one landline telephone number in the house, then you can NOT claim one single penny of your phone bill as a business expense. The IRS says you can't. You would need to have at least 2 lines, and that 2nd line could be for the business only, and therefore the cost of that 2nd line would be a 100% business deduction.

Also, when it comes to utilities, if you don't have water going to the separate business structure then you can not claim any percentage of your water bill. Same holds true for your other utilities such as cable, satellite, electric, gas, etc.

When my roommate eventually moves out, the percentage allocated to my home office will go down.

No, it will not. It will remain the same. Under no circumstances do you change the cost basis or percentage of business use of a real estate asset, once entered. There are no exceptions.

using my above total of 1000 sq feet, you already have 25% of that allocated to a SCH C business. So lets say you rent out a room in the residence house that is 200 sq feet. That would be 20% of the total. Your total square footage  "DOES NOT CHANGE" for any reason.

So on the schedule E you'd indicate that you rent out 10% of your floorspace for the "exclusive use of the renter". Then you'll be able to claim as a rental expense, 10% of your property taxes, mortgage interest, and property insurance. Additionally, 10% of your cost basis in the property (structure value only) would be depreciated over 27.5 years.

So with my numbers, 25% of your mortgage interest, property taxes and insurance would be deductible as a business expense on SCH C, and 10% of your mortgage interest, property taxes and insurance would be deductible as a business expense on SCH E.

For depreciation, 25% of your total structure value would be depreciated over 39 years on SCH C, and 10% of your total structure value would be depreciated over 27.5 years on SCH E.

So if you close the business down the road, your percentage for the rental DO NOT CHANGE. Likewise, if you convert the rental portion back to personal use, your percentages for the SCH C business DO NOT CHANGE.

Hi -

Thank you so much for the thorough reply! When I go to enter my home office percentage, TurboTax has a couple scenarios listed. One of them is “what if rent out space in my house?” The answer prompts me to subtract out any space being rented from the total square footage of the home in order to calculate the amount of my personal space being used for business (music) purposes. I then subtracted out the amounts of mortgage interest, property tax, etc. allocated to my rental space and calculated the amount allocated to my home office based on the new number (again, following the prompts of the program). This all seemed to make sense to me, but I became confused when thinking through depreciation. Turbo Tax automatically calculated depreciation for my home office using that same percentage, but the amount of my home available for personal use will change if my renter moves out. Did I misunderstand the program’s guidance?

Carl
Level 15

Did I misunderstand the program’s guidance?

Yes. But there's a reason you misunderstood it, and it's not your fault.  Your scenario is not all that common, so the program isn't providing the clarity you need. Therefore, I am providing the clarity you need.

The program is asking if you claim a home office for your rental business. Since you are *NOT* a real state professional, your answer to that question *must* be no.  That's because you are not allowed to claim a home office for the rental business.

If you were a real estate professional you would be reporting your rental income on SCH C and therefore claiming a home office on SCH C for your real estate business. This would matter for the SCH E. But since you are not a real estate professional by any stretch, you do not qualify to claim a home office *FOR THE RENTAL BUSINESS*. So when working through the SCH E and asked if you claim a home office, you *MUST* answer that question NO for your specific and explicit scenario.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies