Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help with 1040 NOL

I currently run two business, a single Shareholder S Corp, and a single Member LLC. For many years, I have been preparing my own taxes using Turbo Tax software:

* TT Business to complete the S Corp return and prepare the K1 that I send (to myself)

* TT Home and Business where I bring in the K1 information and  complete Schedule C for the LLC

Over the last 5 years, my business have been erratic, including some good years in which I paid high taxes, and bad years, such as 2022, when both companies lost money and so I paid no taxes (welcome to the Energy industry roller coaster!)

This 2023 Tax Year (I filed extensions,) after completing all of the return, (including dividends, interest, etc.) I have some Taxable Income on the 1040 and so will owe taxes.  I was therefore looking for help with the best way to handle the NOLs   based on the information for the two businesses and my 1040s over the  last five years.  Once we figure out what the NOL should be for 2023,  I am looking for help in correctly completing the NOL-related Turbo Tax entries in the 1040 (everything else is already done.)

Given that I am not really looking for an expert to do my entire taxes "from scratch" (Full Service) nor to do my entire taxes with expert help, what does the community recommend as the simplest and most-cost effective way for me to complete the NOL review, calculate the NOL entries, and file the final 1040 via Turbo Tax as I have done in the past.

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Help with 1040 NOL

You need to figure your NOL manually as TurboTax does not do it for you.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p536#en_US_2023_publink1000177329

Use the worksheet in IRS Publication 536:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p536#en_US_2023_publink100097938

Note that once you have figured your NOL you will have to enter it into TurboTax manually; TurboTax neither calculates NOLs nor does the program carry NOLs forward or backward.

Help with 1040 NOL

Thank you for your help. I'm surprised that TT has not addressed this in the program yet!

Help with 1040 NOL

@fredtex1 wrote:

Thank you for your help. I'm surprised that TT has not addressed this in the program yet!

You're welcome and, yes, it has been this way for a long time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies