turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kathleenh

Filing Taxes with Multiple Businesses

If I sell two different products as two different business names, can I write everything off as myself (SSN), or do I need to form LLCs?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hello Kathleenh,

Since you have 2 businesses you will still be able to report the income and expenses on you personal return. You will just need to file 2 schedule C's with the return one for each business. Make sure you keep track of the income and expenses for each business and report them on the correct schedule C.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ronaldg11
Expert Alumni

Hi KathleenH,

You don't need an LLC to start a business, but, for many businesses the benefits of an LLC far outweigh the cost and hassle of setting one up.

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/do-i-need-an-llc-to-start-a-business

Self-employment offers many freedoms and opportunities. But you may be surprised to discover that your tax bill will be much higher when you work for yourself. Self-employed people must pay self-employment taxes, which can come as a shock to your budget. You may be able to reduce the amount of tax you pay by setting up a limited liability company (LLC) or a corporation.

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/reduce-self-employment-taxes-with-a-corporation-or-llc

How Do You Report Income from Different Side Gigs? 

If you have one or more side jobs, filing your taxes isn’t much different unless your jobs and sources of income are very different from each other. If they are very different, then you may need to attach multiple Schedule Cs to your tax return. 

For jobs that are in the same or similar line of business can typically be reported on one Schedule C. But don’t be too concerned about selecting the right number of Schedule Cs, TurboTax has you covered and will help you to properly report your income. 

For example, if you sell cake toppers on Etsy and also drive for a ridesharing company, you will have to report the income and expenses for those businesses on two separate Schedule Cs. However, if you sell cake toppers on Etsy and also have a business of making and selling cakes you could combine those businesses on one schedule C as these businesses overlap and can be in the same field of cakes and cake decorating. 

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/self-employed/how-to-report-self-employment-income-when-you-have-mu...

Hope that helps,

Ron G

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tpues
Returning Member

Hello, also of the business is in the same scope of work then you can use 1 schedule c unless they both have their own EIN #

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies