Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing taxes as UberEats/Doordash worker

Hi I started working full time as a Doordash/UberEats delivery driver this year. Doordash informed me they will send me a 1099 form for tax purposes. This might be a loaded question, but what things regarding paying my taxes do I need to look out for? (quarterly filing, etc.). This is my first time being self-employed and I want to know what to keep track of so I can file my taxes accurately. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ClarissaA
Employee Tax Expert

Congrats on joining the gig economy and planning to file with self employment income for the first time!  A little planning in this area can go a long way to help you avoid an unexpected bill at tax time.  The first year is the toughest one to plan for - you don't know how much you'll make when you start, and you are learning about what your business expenses are as you go.  Tough does not mean impossible!

UberEats and DoorDash will issue you a 1099-NEC that documents everything they paid to you for the year.  That is your starting point for taxes.  Keeping careful track of all the expenses related to producing that income will help you reduce your tax liability when you file. 

There are two really big expense areas that apply to most delivery drivers - one is going to be your platform fees, and DoorDash will provide you with a summary at the end of the year that does tell you the total amount you paid in fees.  The second area is the harder one - vehicle expenses.  If you are riding a bicycle in a big city, this likely doesn't apply to you, however, if you are like the vast majority of drivers, you are driving your car to and from local restaurants in order to collect the orders and delivering them to your customers.  The miles you drive while working need to be tracked so you can claim either the business percentage of your actual vehicle expenses or the standard mileage deduction.  

Once you know what your net income is (the gross earnings less your expenses) you can use that information to figure out how much tax you will owe.  You can keep track of this roughly during the year and as you get to the end of each month keep an eye on your profit for the month.  You will use those earnings to make your best estimate of what your tax liability is for the income.  Estimates are not exact and you don't have to be perfect - the goal is to make sure you are close to what you actually owe.  When you file the return if you didn't pay enough, you'll owe it by the tax deadline.  If you paid too much, you get the money back as part of your refund 

The actual estimated payments are due 4 times during the year - but they do not fall exactly 3 months apart.  

Payment Period Due Date
January 1 – March 31 April 15
April 1 – May 31 June 15
June 1 – August 31 September 15
September 1 – December 31 January 15* of the following year.
Clarissa
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ClarissaA
Employee Tax Expert

Congrats on joining the gig economy and planning to file with self employment income for the first time!  A little planning in this area can go a long way to help you avoid an unexpected bill at tax time.  The first year is the toughest one to plan for - you don't know how much you'll make when you start, and you are learning about what your business expenses are as you go.  Tough does not mean impossible!

UberEats and DoorDash will issue you a 1099-NEC that documents everything they paid to you for the year.  That is your starting point for taxes.  Keeping careful track of all the expenses related to producing that income will help you reduce your tax liability when you file. 

There are two really big expense areas that apply to most delivery drivers - one is going to be your platform fees, and DoorDash will provide you with a summary at the end of the year that does tell you the total amount you paid in fees.  The second area is the harder one - vehicle expenses.  If you are riding a bicycle in a big city, this likely doesn't apply to you, however, if you are like the vast majority of drivers, you are driving your car to and from local restaurants in order to collect the orders and delivering them to your customers.  The miles you drive while working need to be tracked so you can claim either the business percentage of your actual vehicle expenses or the standard mileage deduction.  

Once you know what your net income is (the gross earnings less your expenses) you can use that information to figure out how much tax you will owe.  You can keep track of this roughly during the year and as you get to the end of each month keep an eye on your profit for the month.  You will use those earnings to make your best estimate of what your tax liability is for the income.  Estimates are not exact and you don't have to be perfect - the goal is to make sure you are close to what you actually owe.  When you file the return if you didn't pay enough, you'll owe it by the tax deadline.  If you paid too much, you get the money back as part of your refund 

The actual estimated payments are due 4 times during the year - but they do not fall exactly 3 months apart.  

Payment Period Due Date
January 1 – March 31 April 15
April 1 – May 31 June 15
June 1 – August 31 September 15
September 1 – December 31 January 15* of the following year.
Clarissa
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much Clarissa this is very valuable information!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies