Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Eligibility for Deducting Health Insurance Premiums as a Sole Owner of a LLC

As the sole owner of an LLC, I'm exploring the possibility of deducting the health insurance premiums paid for a plan through my wife's university. To provide some context, my wife is a full-time graduate student and was not employed by the university. However, she received a fellowship from January to May 2023. During this period, we opted for the university-sponsored health insurance plan.

I'm aware that premiums for plans sponsored by a spouse's employer are generally not deductible. But given that my wife's situation is somewhat unique—receiving a fellowship rather than traditional employment—I'm unsure how this might impact the deductibility of the premiums we paid.

Could the premiums for the university health plan be considered a deductible expense for my self-employment business, even though the plan is not technically employer-sponsored in the traditional sense? Thank you in advance for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Eligibility for Deducting Health Insurance Premiums as a Sole Owner of a LLC

The insurance has to be your policy for the self employed medical premium deduction. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies