Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eBay/StockX (third party) Platform Fees

I have a full-time job but also do some selling through eBay and StockX to the point where combined sales total above $20,000 but profit is around $2,000-$3,000. Since I have to report this as a "business" since it won't be considered a hobby can I deduct platform fees from my profits?

Ex: StockX Fees

Sold an item for $208 but StockX deducted a Transaction Fee (9%), Payment Processing Fee (3%) and a shipping cost of $4 for them to give me a shipping label. The amount they sent me through PayPal was $179.04. Of those fees what can I claim as a deduction? Can I claim all those fees as deductions since they are fees that I need to pay to sell my item?

Also, if I purchased a new laptop to print out shipping labels, handle selling, and anything related with selling can I also claim that cost?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can deduct "ordinary and necessary" business expenses from your self-employment income.  See What self-employed expenses can I deduct? for ideas and examples of applicable expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Two more deduction questions:

1) Can I claim loses from sales if I sold to make money?

2) Can I claim loses from sales if the item was a personal item (e.g. digital camera) but sold it for less than what I paid for originally? The purchase of the camera was from a few years ago. 

Example:
Bought the camera 3 years ago for personal use. Sold it on eBay and lost $500 from what I originally paid. Can I reduce $500 from my profits? Or would I not include that sale in the gross amount I report from my 1099-K? 

1) Can I claim loses from sales if I sold to make money?

It depends. If you purchase inventory and you lose money on the sale, the loss is deductible.

2) Can I claim loses from sales if the item was a personal item (e.g. digital camera) but sold it for less than what I paid for originally? The purchase of the camera was from a few years ago. 

Most of the time, personally-owned "stuff decreases in value" after the initial purchase. If you later sell them, it's almost always for less than what you paid, so there's no gain or loss to report. The IRS won't let you deduct losses on personal items.

This "Help Article" talks about your situation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies