Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dividing home expenses for Self Employed 9-month home office deduction and Schedule E 3-month rental of primary residence

Hi, I'd love help on this - I'm prorating my expenses for my self employed home office deductions vs. 3 months of expenses associated with renting out my residence for the summer.  I'm just inputing the prorated self employed amounts right now and expect to find Schedule E inputs for the 3-month expenses of prop ins, taxes, utilities, etc. (first time using TurboTax Desktop Home & Business). My question is depreciation - any feedback as to how this software works with this situation? I don't want to double count the depreciation and I itemize what I don't use on Schedule C.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Dividing home expenses for Self Employed 9-month home office deduction and Schedule E 3-month rental of primary residence

The basis for depreciation should be the same in both Schedule C and Schedule E with regard to the house.  The difference will be the dates placed in service and the percentage of business use.  

During the time that the house was rented, the percentage of business use will be 100% (unless the tenants did not have access to your home office space).  

For your home office, the percentage of business use will be based on the square feet of your office versus the whole house, prorated by the number of months of use during 2021.

Pay close attention as you enter the depreciation in each section.  In general, TurboTax may not do the math for you for your special situation.

@TeaLeaves22

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The basis for depreciation should be the same in both Schedule C and Schedule E with regard to the house.  The difference will be the dates placed in service and the percentage of business use.  

During the time that the house was rented, the percentage of business use will be 100% (unless the tenants did not have access to your home office space).  

For your home office, the percentage of business use will be based on the square feet of your office versus the whole house, prorated by the number of months of use during 2021.

Pay close attention as you enter the depreciation in each section.  In general, TurboTax may not do the math for you for your special situation.

@TeaLeaves22

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies